Saturday, December 23, 2006

If a Messy Desk is a Sign of Genius, I'm up for the Nobel Prize this Year

It's not that it's exactly "messy." "Cluttered," "overwhelmed," and "burdened," but not messy. Not really. I can find things. I'm comfortable. The printer is within reach. I'm damn happy I have a flat screen monitor.

This is where I spend my evening and weekend hours. I live in this one particular spot more than anyplace else (work and sleeping don't count -- it's not like I have a choice about working or sleeping). I blog, mod, play solitaire, surf, game, and shop here. My little corner of the universe. Mine. Mine. Mine(1)

It's the first day of a four-day weekend for me. The list of things to do include:

1. Make mint brownies (currently in the oven). [EDIT: They didn't turn out. The brownie part is okay, but the Paul Newman brand mint patties didn't melt right and seem to have solidified. Next time, I buy the completely fake candy drowning in hydrogenated vegetable oil, high fructose corn syrup and edible petroleum products. It's sort of like Velveeta cheese -- not "real" but the "real" stuff doesn't melt properly.]

2. Wrap Christmas presents for Terri and her family (The Husband and I are going over there tomorrow to swill champagne and make merry).

3. Work on the Cats of Ulthar. Dr. King said he and his son would love to beta test it, so I would like to get it wrapped up by sometime in January.

4. Make the Christmas dinner menu and prepare a shopping list. So far it's roast turkey, mashed potato gratin, corn bread stuffing and green bean casserole. I should also plan on leftovers (turkey tetrazinni, turkey and brie toasted sammiches, etc.) Yes, I'm going back On Plan in January. Shut up and pass the gravy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
(1) At this particular moment, this little corner of the universe is covered with soda water bottlecaps, lemon and sage hand cream with no cap on it whatsoever, recipes for green bean casserole, a crumpled envelope with book suggestions from one of the attorney's wives, and hand-written notes for my Morrowind mod with cryptic references to "gravedust, bonemeal, ectoplasm" and the dreaded "plural possessive."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And just in case anyone was wondering about all the cat references in this blog:



You Are: 0% Dog, 100% Cat



You are are almost exactly like a cat.

You're intelligent, independent, and set on getting your way.

And there's no way you're going to fetch a paper for anyone!

Are You More Cat or Dog?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Extra Added Goodness for Your Reading Enjoyment:

It's Furious Balancing is taken from the lyrics of R.E.M's song "Daysleeper." The song appeals to me since I'm an insomniac/night owl with a serious Internet habit.

I cried the other night
I can't even say why
Fluorescent flat caffeine lights
It's furious balancing.

I'm the screen, the blinding light
I'm the screen, I work at night.

I see today with a newsprint fray
My night is colored headache grey
Don't wake me with so much.

No comments: