Thursday, May 3, 2007

Moving the Memes




You Are 65% Misanthropic



Here's the truth: Most people suck. You are just lucky enough to know it.

You're not ready to go live alone in a cave - but you're getting there.



I'm just tidying up the sidebar this evening (and playing around with a new template), and this was one of the memes I wanted to save. The self-test doesn't truly measure misanthropy -- more like "meanness" or "irritability" -- but I'm saving it anyhow since I've always called myself a misanthrope.

Along those lines, I like to think that I have a much higher tolerance for being alone than a vast majority of other people. I like to be surrounded by quiet and space -- it's a buffer zone, of sorts. You know all those books/movies/whatever that have people wandering around some post-apocalyptic landscape, going crazy because there aren't any other people around (I Am Legend (1); The Stand; etc.)? If I had food, shelter, and books, I could hold out fairly well, I think. Well, longer than others.

Being alone doesn't scare me -- "being alone" meaning being solitary by choice, not "being alone" walking down a dark street by myself. There's a difference. Solitude in and of itself does not scare me. There are so many people who are uncomfortable being by themselves; they have to have a television or stereo blaring just to take the edge of the "aloneness." Meh. Sounds pretty limited to me, as if they're scared of being inside their own head. If you can't tolerate yourself, if you can't entertain or amuse yourself, then you're obviously not very bright.

****
(1) Wowza. I just discovered on Wikipedia that they're doing the (third) film version of I Am Legend, and Will Smith is going to be Neville! I thought that was a surprising casting choice for Neville, but once I thought about it, I think Will Smith will be very, very cool in that role. They're setting it in Manhattan, though, instead of Southern California. /shrug

~

No comments: