Monday, May 7, 2007

Blogging for Introverts

In this evening's web surfing, I came across this post on I am Joe's Blog (written by Joe Kissell) and was intrigued by the following:
[E]xtroverts get more energy from being around other people, whereas introverts get more energy from being alone, and find that being around others tends to drain their energy. This is very different from the colloquial sense of “introvert” as someone who’s shy, timid, withdrawn, or even misanthropic....

A few people have expressed confusion at the notion of an introvert running a blog, as though by definition we should be very private people who want to avoid attention of any kind....[T]he great thing about the Web is that it lets us share information about ourselves with lots of people in a way that doesn’t drain our energy, since we’re not interacting with everyone at once, or in person [emphasis added].
Ding, ding, ding! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! That's it exactly.

When I started this blog back in December 2006, I did it with the idea that it would be an easy way for me to keep up with my family and friends scattered across the U.S. "Easy" in the sense that writing a general purpose post about What's Going On With Laiane takes less energy than emails and phone calls (and that the blog is a more creative and visual way to express What's Going On With Laiane than emails and phone calls).

It's not that my family and friends are a group of life-sucking vampires. Well, maybe a few. [JUST KIDDING, FOLKS! /wave] I treasure my alone time. It's all about the energy expended. Sometimes it takes a lot of energy for me to be "on." (1) The Husband knows that there are times after we get home from work that I need "my space" to regroup and gather myself.

In that vein, I found this in an archived Atlantic Monthly article:
Extroverts are energized by people, and wilt or fade when alone. They often seem bored by themselves, in both senses of the expression. Leave an extrovert alone for two minutes and he will reach for his cell phone. In contrast, after an hour or two of being socially "on," we introverts need to turn off and recharge....This isn't antisocial. It isn't a sign of depression. It does not call for medication. For introverts, to be alone with our thoughts is as restorative as sleeping, as nourishing as eating. Our motto: "I'm okay, you're okay—in small doses."(2)
I'm surprised by the notion that "introverts don't do blogs." I see a blog as an excellent way for an introvert to communicate with the outside world, probably because we can gather our thoughts and "talk" without interruption. Here I am, telling you What's Going On With Laiane in a way that best suits my personality and mode of expressing myself.

* * * * *
(1) See this post of May 1, 2007. Oh, and for the record, tonight's dinner was half a container of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food.

(2) I love this article. Please, if you know me personally, go read it if/when you have a moment or two.

No comments: