Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ash Wednesday (a Day Late and a Dollar Short)

I go to mass once a year, on Ash Wednesday.

You see, I have this theory. I have a lot of theories. Since Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent, the season of atonement, the chance that God will smite me – the biggest sinner in existence – as I walk into church to ask for forgiveness, is very slim. "Hi, God, I've been a bad girl and I'm here to work on the salvation of my immortal soul." Ka-WHAM [or whatever sound effect works for heavenly smiting]. Bad press for the Church, let me tell you.

In terms of religion, I identify myself as a Pagan-Buddhist-Catholic, or a Buddhist-Catholic-Pagan, or a Catholic-Buddhist-Pagan, depending on the time of year and my inclination. I'm not even a "good" Catholic. I don’t go to mass every Sunday and I don't think I've been in a state of grace since 1987. Technically, I shouldn't be taking communion at all; but I remember Father John, the priest who taught my catechism class, telling us that the priest doesn't ask for your Catholic ID card when you go up front for the Eucharist. I guess we're on the Honor System to some extent.

But this was all yesterday. I've been freakishly busy at the office and just in general, and I feel like I've been run over by a truck, not even having time to post my Ash Wednesday theory until the day after Ash Wednesday:

No comments: