Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Molly Ivins

I just heard that Molly Ivins passed away (62, breast cancer). I know y'all know Molly, the woman who concocted Dubya's nickname "The Shrub." I'm sure she and Ann Richards are having a good talk right about now.

I found this in a tribute to Molly. I think this is how I want to remember her:
For a woman who made a profession of offering her opinion to others, Molly was remarkably humble. She was known for hosting unforgettable parties at her Austin home, which would feature rollicking political discussions, and impromptu poetry recitals and satirical songs. At one such event, I noticed her dining table was littered with various awards and distinguished speaker plaques, put to use as trivets for steaming plates of tamales, chili and fajita meat. When I called this to her attention, Molly matter-of-factly replied, "Well, what else am I going to do with 'em?"

From Anthony Zurcher's "Molly Ivins Tribute"

No comments: