Sunday, December 31, 2006

My Resolution is 1280 x 960, Thank You; and Thinking About Dead Dictators

Happy New Year.

First things first.

Well, it's been a while now since the Iraqis hanged Saddam Hussein. One day? Two? In any event, I've been avoiding the coverage of it, and the photos on Yahoo's Most Popular, u.s.w.(1), but it's hard NOT to see something about it on the Internet news.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Hussein was evil and guilty of atrocious war crimes, but the idea of celebrating the execution of a man nauseates me. In my mind, given Saddam's megalomania, it would have been a far worse punishment to keep him alive for the rest of his natural life, in an environment that kept him from the public eye -- in an environment guaranteed to keep him out of sight and as obscure and voiceless as possible -- than it would be to kill him outright.

But people don't think about these things. Most people have the moral development of your average three-year-old playing in the sandbox -- "Well, Timmy hit me so I get to hit him back. That's only fair."

I'm tempted to quote Gandhi, but I'm sure I'm mis-quote. It's something along the lines of "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."

So, for all of you people of arrested moral development celebrating the killing of a man, let it be known that I'm of the firm opinion that you not only do you have an IQ that hovers around the same digits as room temperature (Fahrenheit or Celsius, your choice), you're about as emotionally and intellectually advanced as your average slime mold. I've known plates deeper than you.


* * * * * * * * * * *
(1) u.s.w. Und so weiter. It's et cetera in German. I get tired of typing etc. all the time.

* * * * * * * * * * *

To hell with the real world. Let's have a cute cat picture. Love you, Tom.

No comments: